Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Weekend Recap and The Lilac Festival 5k

I'm feeling so tired and run down this week. May has been a busy month and there are still a few pretty big things coming up:

My first 8k is this Saturday.
We have a three day weekend!
We're going camping on the 28th for our 3 year anniversary.
I've still got 12 days of trying to hit my Fitbit goals each day to make it the full month.

I don't know why but it all feels like a lot to squeeze into this month.

But let's take a moment to look back on this jam-packed weekend:

On Friday, we stopped at the MedVed center to pick up my bib and shirt. The shirt was a nice breathable fabric with a pretty cute design.


We grabbed our Subway Subs and stopped for supplies for our Friday night treat!


Chocolate milkshakes are soo good but these were so thick we could only finish about half of them!

Saturday we wanted to try and go to the Willard Mental institution walk through of the abandoned buildings that they do once a year. It didn't go so well. When we left my car decided to do this fun thing:


That would be my exhaust completely sheared at the seam. So my car was obnoxiously loud for the whole day and we got stuck in traffic for 45 minutes due to an accident which made us late for the walk through. We decided to just hit up a State park and walk around for a bit.



It was a good substitute and we enjoyed our time walking in nature. It was pretty warm out but we made sure to wear our sunscreen. :] We wrapped up Saturday by lounging around the house and eating Pasta for dinner.

Sunday we needed to wake up early in order to get up to the festival by 7:30am. I was super nervous and felt very under trained for this race but I went into it knowing that I was just going to do my best.

My boss had actually signed up to run the 10k that followed my 5k and he warned me about the long uphill towards the finish line so once the gun sounded, I made sure to keep a nice easy pace. My first mile tacked off at 9:09. Not as easy as I had planned, but it was all down hill. It was warm and if you weren't in the middle of the road, you sloped to one side.

Rounding off of the main road you get into some residential running. It was flat but boring. Mile 2 ticked off at 18:36. We turned and retraced our steps back up the mile long hill. It was as tough as I had imagined and it slowed my pace considerably but I knew that the end was right at the top of the hill and all I had to do was to keep moving forward and I would reach it.



My friend and I ran the whole race together and this was caught just before we finished. I gave a little bit more effort than her and ended up beating her by one second!

My time rang in at 30:57, nearly a whole minute slower than my previous time. I'm not terribly bummed by that finish because the temperature was nearing the mid 80's and that mile long hill was a tough one. I came in 20/41 for my age group and came in 367 over all for the race.




We were both pretty tired by the end of the race but then it was time to explore the festival with my mom and Dustin. 

Not counting Sunday's race, I ended up beating my previous weeks 'active minutes' which was my ultimate goal for this past week.


And that is about it! No wonder I'm tired. It's been a long couple of weeks and I'm working another 50 week before my 8k this Saturday and a couple of 3 day weekends in a row! :]

How was your weekend?

Run any races?







No comments:

Post a Comment